Sunday, June 13, 2010

Marking Time

I wrote this as a message to friends and family several months ago, prompted by my daughter's distress over the untimely death of a high school friend. I think it bears repeating here.

Life can be very, very short. We only each have so many days here on earth. And none of us know how many days those are. At the end of each day, we have one less day until the end. One less day.

And so, with those unknown numbered precious days, it becomes very important that at the end of each day we know -- I know -- that it wasn’t a day wasted. Wasted in boredom, wasted in indifference, wasted in complaining about things that are trivial in the “grand scheme" of it all, wasted in being angry, wasted in wanting what I do not or cannot have or create, wasted in failing to pay attention to and enjoy every moment of that precious day.

I’ve made a vow to myself -- that is admittedly sometimes difficult to keep, because I am human after all -- that at the end of each day (knowing that the end of the day means I have one less day on earth) I will be able to honestly say: “Today was a good day. Today was a full day, a productive day, a day that was personally satisfying. Today was worth "giving up" because today I made a real contribution. Today I made a difference. Today I didn’t just mark time.”

This is how I believe we should spend each precious day.

No comments:

Post a Comment